The Benefits of AIT System Integration Services
THE SYSTEM INTEGRATION CHALLENGE
Too often, avionics interface verification or test system design and integration is a resource- and time-consuming distraction for avionics labs focused on getting products to market. Or, the flight test engineer simply hasn’t the time to design and build an in-house interface test setup.
Third parties are not always a solution. A typical National Instruments integration shop often lacks the experience and expertise required to develop specialized avionics network test or verification systems.
THE AIT SYSTEM INTEGRATION SOLUTION
Drawing on its lengthy experience and deep engineering and software development expertise, as well as one of the industry’s broadest ranges of hardware interface modules, AIT is ideally positioned to provide one-stop system integration and engineering services at a reasonable cost and schedule.
Since AIT integrated systems are based on its own hardware and software products and designed and built by its own engineers, customers avoid the inefficiency and complexity of coordinating system design and implementation among several vendors.
KEY AIT SYSTEM INTEGRATION BENEFITS
- EXPERIENCE: AIT engineering resources are the result of decades of avionics network customization and NRE expertise—not just for legacy standards such as ARINC 429 and MIL-STD-1553, but also with hardware and software for advanced avionics networks including Fibre Channel, Ethernet (up to 10G), and Firewire.
- INSTRUMENTATION BREADTH: In addition to AIT’s own extensive suite of products, AIT integrated systems can include instrumentation from other COTS suppliers such as Keysight and Teradyne. In addition, low-cost iCon fixture interface solutions are available.
- QUICK-TURN SINGLE-SOURCE SOLUTIONS: There’s no need to order parts and systems from National Instruments and then figure out how to develop applications. AIT does it all—from spec to design to build to final system check-out and verification.
- OPEN SOFTWARE EXPERTISE: AIT software skills are not limited to just LabVIEW or LabVIEW RT. Our experienced developers can customize software in a variety of environments, including Microsoft Windows and Linux, as well as unique Real Time Operating Systems.
- LONG TERM SUPPORT: AIT is ready when system updates and modifications are required. AIT has helped many customers avoid system obsolescence with its FPGA-based instrument design philosophy.
AIT’s System Design and Integration Expertise
AIT SUPPLIES COMPLETE SYSTEM SOLUTIONS
To meet spec, a complete system requires hardware and software designed to operate smoothly together—together with an intuitive user interface that provides comprehensive system control.
AIT Integrated Systems focus on avionics inputs/output and communications. Typical functions that AIT integrated systems have addressed include:
- Analyzer/Data Capture/Record with F-SIM/Cipher/fcXplorer
- Protocol verification: HS1760 PTP / 1553 PTP / ARINC 664 PTP, or customized software applications.
AIT’S HARDWARE DESIGN FOCUS…
AIT Integrated System solutions are generally implemented in a PXIe-based chassis and controller. Other form factors are available, including Getac Notebooks for portable solutions, as well as industrial PCIe systems used in manufacturing and final test.
Hardware system implementations completed by AIT include:
- Avionics I/O: MIL-STD-1553, ARINC 429, ARINC 664, 1G/10G Ethernet, Fibre Channel (ASM/RDMA/HS1760), RS-xxx, DIO, Firewire, IRIG Ch10)
- Ancillary functions such as DMM and Oscilloscope, 1588/IRIG-B Time Synchronization
…AND A COMMITMENT TO OPEN SOFTWARE
AIT routinely works with C/C++, C#, LabVIEW with focus on Microsoft Windows as well as Linux and Real Time OS where needed.
Check out just a few of the hardware and software products AIT has implemented into integrated systems delivered to customers…
[NOTE to Troy: I have chosen the products below fairly randomly. Obviously, you need to decide what goes here…]
Real World Examples of AIT’s System Integration Experience
AIT has designed and delivered integrated system solutions that cover the gamut of avionics test and verification systems from lab to flight line.
HIGH SPEED NETWORK SIMULATION SYSTEM
This PXIe-based system included a 1 Gbit/sec Ethernet interface module and a customer software application implemented in Microsoft Windows.
This PXIe-based system simulated Fibre Channel, 10/100/1G Ethernet and IRIGB/1588 network behavior. AIT created a custom software application as well as implementing COTS software for F-SIM/FcXplorer in a Microsoft Windows environment.
A664 TEST SYSTEM
This system was designed to be used in product manufacturing for final test. Based in a PCIe industrial rack-mount chassis with AIT-integrated COTS software (F-SIM) in a Microsoft Windows environment.
B2-DAME TEST SYSTEM
Building on the customer’s own in-house software as well as COTS software, this PXIe-based system featured MIL-STD-1553 communications in both the Microsoft Windows and Linux operating system environments.
AVIONICS SWITCHING SYSTEM
Designed to test ARINC 429, RS-422/485 and DIO ports in a network switch, this PXIe-based system included AIT-designed custom software in a Linux-based RTOS (real Time Operating System).
PORTABLE ARINC 429 TEST SYSTEM
AIT created a fully-integrated system for a portable tablet (PDL format) used for testing ARINC 429 and DIO channels using AIT-designed software in the Microsoft Windows environment.